Monday, March 13, 2006

Dancin

I am not alone/a night I see a light like my own/and it is not all blues/ there is peace in heaven's womb/so please don't be confused/ about my friend/my friend the moon.

I am not afraid/the path I'm on/ is one that I have made/reflections of the sun/make stellar flowers bloom/ I listen for their drum/and dance with my friend the moon.

-Fertile Ground, "My Friend the Moon"
________________________________

I went to Cherry last night with my little sister Sunshine. Being single in the club sucks unless you are confident enough to ask someone to dance. In my 25 years of life, I don't think I have ever asked a woman that I do not know to dance with me. Last night was no exception. But, I love to shake my money maker. So when the DJ switched to reggae, I went to the front of the dance floor and danced alone. I started shyly, with my hands in my pockets and my eyes closed to block out all the partnered ladies grinding on each other. As I got more comfortable, I found my hands above my head and my body swaying to beat. It was fun! I was not dancing to get close to a woman so I could get her number. I was not trying to show off my fancy foot-work to the lovely ladies. I was just dancing- with the beat, with the dj, with the lights, with the energy of the room, with the warm night air, with my dreams, with the life that exists on the other side of my eyelids, with my own divinity- just dancing with myself.

Starting my own company feels kinda like that. I am as nervous as a 14 year-old boy at the school dance, walking up to the coolest girl in school to ask her to dance. Everybody is watching, everybody knows what I am doing, and I am scared shitless. If I fail, will everyone laugh at me or will they pat me on the back for taking on such a big risk. I guess I am learning that the most important lesson is to just do my dance. The dance may be alone or with the girl; the biggest thing is to step outside of my fears to do what I really want to do. Right now, I just want to dance...

7 Comments:

Blogger Phoenix said...

yeah!! i've been missin' you sis. let's connect this week. i've been so exhausted lately, sorry i haven't really been available by phone. but yes. this week. and i'm so happy and proud and supportive of you. you're a beautiful one, you are. dance on honey, dance!

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow...I am not really a blog reader but some reason I was lead to your JT....I so pictured you dancing...reminscing on the nights when the purpose of us going out were to dance to feel the music...good music...not to just hump (well...sometimes my hips found somebodys leg...LOL)...Much love to you...continue to shine with your company too...Ive heard only good things...wink...
AMc

11:11 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

People dont dance no mo/all they do is this/


dont worry- i wasnt gonna put you on update. THough i was thinking about it for a sec.
Your boyfriends over at (RAC) sent you something and i keep meaning to call you and ask for your address so i can send it- but then i dont.

my bad.

take care- and im still a faithful reader

alii

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dance jocelyn--nice read and i feel you. i recently wrote a bit about dancing. maybe one day we will dance together like geminis

10:48 PM  
Blogger Phoenix said...

(we went dancin' together and it was fresh like the olden days.)

3:37 AM  
Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

Wow, I really enjoyed this post, glad I stopped by

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and the soul shall dance...and the music shall play...and only you shall be the receiver of them both...do your thang girl...now dance!!!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home